TPA is a corporate body established by the Ports Act No. 17 of 2004 as landlord port authority. It operates a system of ports serving the Tanzania hinterland and the landlocked countries of Malawi, zambia, Democratic Republic of congo (DRC), Burundi, Rwanda and Uganda.
Currently, the Authority performs the role of both a Landlord and Operator with the main objective of promoting effective management and operations of sea and inland waterways ports, provision of services in relation to loading and unloading of cargo and passenger services, developing, promoting and managing port infrastructure and superstructure, maintaining port safety and security.
TPA administers a diverse system of Tanzania’s Mainland sea and inland waterways (Lake Ports). The major ports are Dar es Salaam, Tanga and Mtwara while smaller ports are Kilwa, Lindi, Mafia, Pangani and Bagamoyo Pangani and Bagamoyo. The lake ports include Mwanza Noth and South Ports, Nansio, Kemondo Bay, Bukoba and Musoma on the Lake Victoria; Kigoma and Kasanga on Lake Tanganyika and Itungi Port, Kiwira, Manda Liuli and Mbamba Bay on Lake Nyasa.
The Principal Objectives of the Authority are:
· To establish and coordinate system of Harbours;
· To provide facilities relating to Harbours and provide harbour services;
· With the approval of the Minister, to construct and operate new Harbours;
· To construct, operate and maintain beacons and other navigational aids;
· To carry on the business of stevedore, wharf age or lighter man;
· To act as a warehouseman to store goods, whether or not the goods have been or are to be, handled as cargo or carried by the Authority;
· To consign goods on behalf of the other persons to any place either within or outside the United Republic;
· With the approval of the Minister, to act as carriers of goods or passengers by land or sea; and
· To provide amenities or facilities that the Authority considers necessary or desirable for persons making use of the facilities or services.
For more Information please contact:
Tanzania Ports Authority:
P.O. Box 9184,
Dar es Salaam,
Tel: (255) 22-2116258
Fax: (255) 22-2113432/2112938